[Cryptography] We need a new encryption algorithm competition.

ianG iang at iang.org
Tue Mar 18 05:57:14 EDT 2014

On 18/03/2014 04:35 am, Tony Arcieri wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 1:44 PM, ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:
>
>> Further, in some sort of foreseeable future, CAESAR comes out and we now
>> have a suite of AE algorithms, so even ChaCha/Poly is starting to look
>> like last year's fashion, not cool.
>

> AES-GCM is arguably good enough. I wish more effort were invested in
> creating a new, modern TLS stack that isn't completely terrible, or
> creating a protocol to replace TLS which is built atop CAESAR-style
> authenticated stream ciphers.
>
> If I were to try to create a crypto contest, its goal would be to create a
> better transport encryption protocol.

Sounds good to me.  There are two general efforts that I know of:
google's QUIC and a project by DJB and friends called TP Curve or
something (I can never find it, can anyone?).

It's not impossible, I do one myself that is more purposed at financial
transactions but has migrated over time to being an also-ran contender.
 I reckon a competition would bring out o(10) contenders.

Although with a nod to PHB, he's looking for help on his messaging
project, not on his TCP/TLS replacement ;)

iang