[Cryptography] Focus

Bear bear at sonic.net
Mon Mar 17 00:05:03 EDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-03-16 at 12:01 +0000, ianG wrote:
> On 16/03/2014 01:55 am, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> > http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=3296#comic
>

> :) Which reminds me, in yesterday's Crypto-gram:
>

> The Voynich Manuscript has been partially decoded.  This seems not to be
> a hoax.  And the manuscript seems not to be a hoax, either.
>
> http://www.medievalists.net/2014/02/20/voynich-manuscript-partially-decoded-text-hoax-scholar-finds/
> or http://tinyurl.com/kommaax
>
> http://stephenbax.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Voynich-a-provisional-partial-decoding-BAX.pdf
> or http://tinyurl.com/pjenudg

His claims for "decoding" are hardly better than random association of
nouns with repeated sequences of characters.  If he can't come up with
sentence structure and identify some sequences as verbs and modifiers,
I don't think I believe.

You could take an entirely random sequence and identify some repeating
subsequences as nouns.  I don't think his claims mean anything that
hasn't been claimed before. And all such previous claims have led
nowhere.