[Cryptography] We need a new encryption algorithm competition.

Krisztián Pintér pinterkr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 15:45:27 EDT 2014

Jerry Leichter (at Sunday, March 16, 2014, 8:23:29 PM):
> An ever-growing percentage of fielded machines will have
> hardware support for AES, making reaching even approximate parity
> using a pure software implementation of some other algorithm extremely difficult to achieve.

this is the best argument *against* putting direct algo support in
CPUs. i deem the AES-NI instruction set rather harmful for the
industry. it would be much better if we put general purpose
instructions that help crypto. like huge register space (in the 8000
bit range), versatile parallelism, support for GF field operations
(prime and binary), better support for big num arithmetic, on-chip key
storage, etc. just like GPU designers sit down with game developers
and survey what they want, CPU developers should sit down with
cryptographers.