[Cryptography] How can I make use of the AES hardware on new CPUs?

Bear bear at sonic.net
Fri Mar 14 21:21:30 EDT 2014

I am writing some software for which I would like to take advantage
of the built-in AES instructions supposedly now included in AMD64
CPUs. So I have two questions.

First, how do I get at them?  Do I have to insert conditional
assembly code directly to use that, or is there a linkable
library? Hopefully a reasonably portable one since I need to
make both windows and Linux clients?

Second, is there a way to detect whether or not that hardware
is present, so that I can create something that may run more
slowly but at least doesn't crash horribly if run on an
earlier CPU without an AES instruction built in?

Bear