[Cryptography] a question on consensus over algorithmic agility

ianG iang at iang.org
Thu Jun 26 05:13:52 EDT 2014

Hi Stephen,

On 25/06/2014 23:53 pm, Stephen Farrell wrote:

>> Philosophically, however, I think it is necessary to get people to
>> accept that algorithm agility is not a MUST within the context of
>> MyTransportProtocol(2014), in the absolutist sense that IETF sees it
>> right now;  before moving on to the dynamic consideration of version
>> upgrading.
>
> Absolutist? Hrmpf. (I didn't type Hrmpf at first;-)

That's how it feels from the outside, when a new idea comes along, and
someone on the inside says "oh, they will reject that, no chance."  It
only takes a few people within to believe that view without question and
it becomes self-fulfilling.

>> I'm also thinking that IETF is locked in a mindset, and those that have
>> seen the light simply don't go anywhere near the place.  So if we can
>> show an external picture that is different, it might get some more light
>> into the dusty dark corridors of net power.
>>
>> I could be wrong, often am, happy to bat towards a 50% average in this
>> game...
>
> I'd also be interested if this discussion landed somewhere else
> sensible, but I'd be surprised.

Well, here's what I've seen so far (excluding you and me):

  1. NO 3, minimalist variation 2.

  2. NO 2.

Now, any survey can be fudged, and our data points are so low here any
conclusion can be reached.  For example, the respondents can be
self-selecting, those that would vote YES might simply not want bother
with such a silly post.

But one thing I think I can show is that while I grant that the IETF
might have a consensus internally, externally, opinions differ.  For
exactly the same self-selecting reasons, people who disagree with the
IETF won't go there.

iang