[Cryptography] What has Bitcoin achieved?

Shrdlu shrdlu at deaddrop.org
Wed Jun 25 17:15:06 EDT 2014

On 6/25/2014 12:10 PM, John Levine wrote:

> Who can issue checks entirely depends on who is allowed to join the
> clearinghouses that settle the checks.  Here in the US it's things
> regulated as banks (banks, S&Ls, credit unions) and some others like
> American Express (which is not a bank in the US) for travelers
> checks and the post office for money orders.

Fascinating dialogue, so far, but I have to point out that Amex became
a bank in 2008.

https://personalsavings.americanexpress.com/index.html

http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/10/news/companies/amex/?postversion=2008111020

Mind you, traveler's checks issued by them are not the same thing as
the bank checks that the conversation was about, but Amex is indeed
a bank.

--
Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.