[Cryptography] Review: The Code Book, by Simon Singh

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Sun Jun 22 22:39:53 EDT 2014

  -----Original Message-----
From: Rob Kendrick
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2014 15:30

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 06:37:39AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> One minor annoyance is the mis-spelling of "prise" (he uses "prize"), but
> spelling mistakes tend to leap out at me,

This is perfectly well-spelled, given the author uses British English
rather than Amerian English, given he's British.  I'm surprised you
didn't notice the correct spelling of colour in his explanation of DH
using tins of paint :)

<orcnote>
   It took a while to prise out what is going on in the use of "prize" instead of "prise".  If the intended meaning is tied to prying something loose, then "prise" is apparently the OED preference, although some American English sources suggest "prize" is an acceptable secondary spelling.  I assume that "prize" is not intended, in the sense of a captured enemy vessel [;<).
   Next up: pronunciation of "whinge." (After that, where quotation marks go with respect to ending punctuation.)
</orcnote>

B.