[Cryptography] Code Spaces has been under DDOS attacks and...

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Fri Jun 20 22:21:12 EDT 2014

There are risks in the cloud, oh my.
I might ask here how encryption helps or hinders (both attacker and
defenders) attacks in the cloud.

Slash dot noted:
"Code Spaces [a code hosting service] has been under DDOS attacks since the
beginning of the week, but a few hours ago, the attacker managed to delete
all their hosted customer data and most of the backups. They have announced
that they are shutting down business.

"From the announcement:An unauthorized person who at this point who is
still unknown (All we can say is that we have no reason to think its anyone
who is or was employed with Code Spaces) had gained access to our Amazon
EC2 control panel and had left a number of messages for us to contact them
using a Hotmail address. Reaching out to the address started a chain of
events that revolved around the person trying to extort a large fee in
order to resolve the DDOS.

"At this point we took action to take control back of our panel by changing
passwords, however the intruder had prepared for this and had already
created a number of backup logins to the panel and upon seeing us make the
attempted recovery of the account he proceeded to randomly delete artifacts
from the panel."

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l