[Cryptography] Shredding a file on a flash-based file system?

Chris Tonkinson chris at masterbran.ch
Fri Jun 20 13:11:49 EDT 2014

> such systems do not require that a key be entered
> or otherwise externally supplied during boot?

It's my understanding that most such systems allow the user to opt out
of supplying a wrapping key - in which case the actual FDE key material
is still encrypted, but with e.g. a zero'd key (which the pre-decrypted
system can deterministically generate at boot-time)?

In this case, no security is provided, although there still
*technically* exists both an FDE and wrapping key.