[Cryptography] Shredding a file on a flash-based file system?

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Thu Jun 19 17:40:12 EDT 2014

On 6/19/14 at 12:06 PM, leichter at lrw.com (Jerry Leichter) wrote:

>(Disks have had tons of RAM for things like track buffers for
>years now.  Maybe some of them have an internal battery to ride
>out short power failures....)

It would make perfect sense to have enough internal battery
power to be able to get the write buffers in RAM to either NVRAM
or disk after the power drops. That way the disk can keep its
contract with the OS that when a write is signaled "complete"
the data is safe and still boost performance.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | I like the farmers' market   | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | because I can get fruits and | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | vegetables without stickers. | Los Gatos,
CA 95032