[Cryptography] from CNBC: "Cybersecurity firm says large hedge fund attacked"

John Ioannidis ji at tla.org
Thu Jun 19 15:47:25 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Perry E. Metzger <perry at piermont.com>
wrote:

> Quoting:
>
> "In an audacious and sophisticated attack, cybercriminals acting in
> late 2013 installed a malicious computer program on the servers of a
> large hedge fund, crippling its high-speed trading strategy and
> sending information about its trades to unknown offsite computers."
>
> Unfortunately, the article is otherwise largely content free.
>
> http://www.cnbc.com/id/101770396

Origen's definition of a parable is that it is a story about an event; not
one that happened exactly as recited, but that one that could have happened.
('Εστι τοίνυν παραβολή λόγος ως περί γενομένου, μη γενομένου μεν κατά το
ρητόν, δυναμένου δε γενέσθαι).

My reaction to this article was "nice story, bro, but I don't believe it".
It reads like a parable, or a cautionary tale. Anyone could have made it up.
Especially since the "good guys" in the story (BAE) stand a lot to gain by
attracting customers this way.

/ji