[Cryptography] [cryptography] Dual EC backdoor was patented by Certicom?

Thierry Moreau thierry.moreau at connotech.com
Thu Jun 19 10:15:25 EDT 2014

On 2014-06-19 11:18, ianG wrote:
> On 19/06/2014 00:21 am, John Gilmore wrote:
>
> The consensus is that the specs should have no patent encumbrance, and
> can be freely used.

I thought the spec from NIST included curve and point parameters that
can be "freely used." I assumed this as a repetition of the Suite B case
where a license granted by the patentee to the US government had a
similar effect. The problem being that "best industry practice" turned
out as a recommendation to use other parameters.

But please don't take my words as authoritative: I did not check the
relevant details.

- Thierry Moreau