[Cryptography] Dual EC backdoor was patented by Certicom?

Hanno Böck hanno at hboeck.de
Sun Jun 15 17:15:55 EDT 2014

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 14:13:04 +0100
ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:

> In what is now a long running saga, we have more news on the DUAL_EC
> backdoor injected into the standards processes.  In a rather unusual
> twist, it appears that Certicom's Dan Brown and Scott Vanstone
> attempted to patent the backdoor in Dual EC in or around January of
> 2005.  From Tanja Lange & DJB:

This is all certainly quite interesting, but it is hardly new. This
fact has been known since Dec 2013:
http://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2013/12/a-few-more-notes-on-nsa-random-number.html

Or am I missing something here? From what I can see, the project
bullrun webpage just lists already known facts (however I think it was
originally Tanja Lange who made this issue public, so credit goes to
the right people - it's just not new).

--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/