[Cryptography] What has Bitcoin achieved?

tpb-crypto at laposte.net tpb-crypto at laposte.net
Sun Jun 15 12:36:12 EDT 2014

> Message du 14/06/14 19:50
> De : "Bear"
>
> I know that it will not be welcomed by anarchists. But that's a
> tiny, tiny bunch of people; Most who are doing serious trade want
> to be trading in assets that police can trace and courts can
> recover, because for most purposes and most people that's safer.
>
> A blockchain "Open ledger" guarantees that the powers we give
> our regulatory agencies cannot be exercised secretly, and that
> if exercised in violation of law or due process, no one will
> be able to pretend otherwise.

After Bitcoin is put under governmental control, they can do anything they want without ever being limited or curtailed by us. An example of that is FISA courts and special congressional commissions, that do their jobs without any scrutiny at all.

The consequence is the NSA behavior we see today.

There is no way the ledger will be kept public if the government puts their paws into it, it will be visible to them but not to anybody else, that's the first thing government will do, to cloak it to the best extent possible and force everyone to accept it. They will want that power and control over Bitcoin like they have today over banking transactions and there is not way to stop them if you allow them to control Bitcoin-like systems.

At that point we don't have cryptocurrencies anymore, but only a credit card replacement and nothing great has happened and nothing better has come out of it.

90% of people that would make transactions enforceable by law can continue using credit card, they don't have to wait one hour to confirm their transactions and they can keep paying the fees that guarantee transaction reversibility.