[Cryptography] End-to-End, One-to-Many, Encryption Question

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Fri Jun 13 09:46:05 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 6:50 AM, Ben Laurie <ben at links.org> wrote:

> On 12 June 2014 07:35, Bill Frantz <frantz at pwpconsult.com> wrote:
> > On 6/11/14 at 5:49 PM, kentborg at borg.org (Kent Borg) wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a way to encrypt once with key A, super-encrypt with key B1
> (not
> >> knowing any other keys), and finally decrypt with key C1 (not knowing
> any
> >> other keys)?  Or, super-encrypt with key B2, then decrypt with key C2?
> >

> > This problem is similar to the problem which would occur if an encryption
> > algorithm was a group. If the algorithm is a group, then there is a key C
> > which can decrypt a message which is encrypt(B, encrypt(A, text)). DES
> was
> > proven to not be a group, making triple-DES a viable way to get the
> security
> > of a longer encryption key.
>
> All symmetric crypto algorithms need to have keys that are not a
> group, or there is a meet-in-the-middle attack available.

But that is another area where formal logic can fail. DES is not a group,
but all it takes to stop something being a group is for one mapping to not
meet the criteria.

So lets say I am using the original Cesar cipher with a displacement of n
characters, A->D, B->E, etc.

This is a group because modular addition is a group.

But now lets say that we have a modified cipher which has a displacement of
n characters except that character n always maps to itself and so does the
character that would map to it.

The new cipher is not a group. But it is close enough to being a group as
to make no difference from a cryptanalysis point of view.

It is a similar problem with public key, people thought that an np-complete
problem would make a good cipher till other folk showed that heuristic
approaches break them.