[Cryptography] End-to-End, One-to-Many, Encryption Question

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Thu Jun 12 10:31:33 EDT 2014

On 06/12/2014 06:50 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:
> All symmetric crypto algorithms need to have keys that are not a
> group, or there is a meet-in-the-middle attack available.

Dang, that makes sense.

But, as I am trying to "secure" data in the cloud, instead of just
throwing up my hands, maybe I want to use an inferior algorithm that
*is* a group...? Nah, then I am getting close to inventing my own crypto
algorithms.

I'll have to think about my problem definition more, dig through my
memory of available crypto primitives, and see if I can find another
approach.

But people should be asking related questions more. The cloud is a cool
thing, yet end-to-end encryption is the responsible approach, and there
is a contradiction in the two.

Thanks for all the answers,

-kb, the Kent who will have to keep his eye open for progress in
homomorphic encryption.