[Cryptography] Swift and cryptography

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+libs at mega-nerd.com
Tue Jun 10 04:55:57 EDT 2014

Nemo wrote:

> "What we need most, at this juncture, is another programming language"
>
> ...said nobody over the age of 30, ever.
>
> Why does every fresh CS grad feel the need to invent his own programming
> language (and/or "make" replacement)?

IMO, the reason we need a new programming language is that *all* current
programming languages are woefully bad (even the ones that I actually quite
like). However, the vast majority of the current crop of ignore the the
last 40 years of Programming Language Theory (PLT) research (golang was a
particular disappointment, swift very much less so). I suspect that the
culmination of another 50-100 years PLT research may finally put us in a
position where these researchers may finally be able to design a really
good programming langauge.

It took humans about 300 years to learn how to build bridges that did not
fall down. Expecting programming language design to produce good langauges
with only 30 years of (mostly ignored) PLT research is rather optimistic.

Cheers,
Erik (well over 30)