[Cryptography] DOJ Wants to Expand Authority to Break Into Suspects' Computers

John Ioannidis ji at tla.org
Sat Jun 7 13:24:19 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 11:06 AM, John Kelsey <crypto.jmk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Those companies do business in a great many countries.  Will each one be
> able to demand backdoors be inserted in all their software and keep quiet
> about it to all the others?  ISTM that this is the path to having almost no
> off the shelf products provide meaningful security.

And these agencies give a hoot about this because...?

Here's something I posted on FB yesterday:

Anyone want to make a prediction of how long it will be before we see the
following scenario play out? Alice puts malware on her computer that, when
said computer is captured by Bob at her next border crossing, attacks Bob's
forensics-analysis systems from the inside. Hilarity ensues.

With so many agencies around the world, and so much hardware being
separated from its rightful owner (I'm trying to be polite here), something
like this is bound to happen. We've already seen malware jump airgaps.
Planting malware from the inside of a forensics-analysis lab has a singular
poetic justice to it.

/ji