[Cryptography] Google "End to End"

John Ioannidis ji at tla.org
Fri Jun 6 17:17:32 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM, Peter Trei <petertrei at gmail.com> wrote:

> To me, one of the interesting aspects is that this breaks part of Google's
> business model; they wont be able to scan message bodies for keywords on
> which to target advertising.

I no longer work for Google, so I have no insider information on this (if I
did, I wouldn't be commenting in public in the first place :) ), but my
educated guess is that they don't expect encrypted mail to be a significant
fraction of mail to make a difference. Also, the good press ("look how much
we care about your privacy"), is worth any direct impact (if any) to
revenue. Google's market value derives in part from their good name (and
the corresponding trust users have in them), not just raw revenue.

/ji