[Cryptography] Review of Handbook of Applied Cryptography by Menezes et al

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Jun 4 03:13:42 EDT 2014

Alfred J.Menezes, Paul C van Orschot, Scott A. Vanstone

My honest opinion is that it's quite heavy going, so I didn't read every
page.  Good knowledge of Mathematics is required; I did it at an Advanced
level at University, and I had trouble.

Extremely rigourous, more so than Schneier.  No sources available, but
plenty of algorithms provided.  A list of Errata is available on the Web,
but it in turn contains errors (some of the text being corrected is not in
the book).

Contents in brief (errors here are mine):

Table of Contents
List of Tables
List of Figures
Foreword by R.Rivest
Preface
Overview of Cryptography
Mathematical Background
Number-Theoretic Reference Problems
Public-Key Parameters
Pseudorandom bits and Sequences
Stream Ciphers
Block Ciphers
Public-Key Encryption
Hash Functions and Data Integrity
Identification and Entity Authentication
Digital Signatures
Key Establishment Protocols
Key Management Techniques
Efficient Implementation
Patents and Standards from Selected Cryptograhic Forums