[Cryptography] What is going on with TrueCrypt?

Kelly J. Rose iam at kjro.se
Mon Jun 2 14:30:22 EDT 2014

Since the author of Truecrypt wants to remain anonymous, and any lawsuit
about copyright infringement would reveal who he was publicly, I would
assume that the license is more of a courtesy thing than anything else. I
don't think it's enforceable anonymously.

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Nemo <nemo at self-evident.org> wrote:

> (I am not a lawyer, so what follows is based on my non-expert
> understanding.)
>
> What would happen if someone just cut&pasted the TrueCrypt source
> wholesale and put his/her own name, copyright, and license on it?
>
> The only ones with legal standing to sue for infringement are the
> authors, who are anonymous. They (he?) would have to give up that
> anonymity just to initiate legal action. Not to mention engaging a bunch
> of lawyers for a settlement worth zero.
>
> Then there is the little detail that even the GPL has only ever been
> deemed enforceable by a couple of German courts... What would they make
> of some poorly-phrased non-expert trash license, I wonder?
>
> Would hijacking the TrueCrypt source like this be unethical?
> Perhaps. But I would still love to see someone give it a whirl.
>
>  - Nemo
>    https://self-evident.org/

Kelly J. Rose
Edmonton, AB
Phone: +1 587 982-4104
Twitter: @kjrose
Skype: kjrose.pr
Gtalk: iam at kjro.se
MSN: msn at kjro.se

Document contents are confidential between original recipients and sender.