[Cryptography] DOJ Wants to Expand Authority to Break Into Suspects' Computers

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Sun Jun 1 05:50:44 EDT 2014

On May 31, 2014, at 5:28 PM, Bill Frantz <frantz at pwpconsult.com> wrote:
> The US Justice Department (DOJ) has issued a request to the US Judicial
> Conference standing committee to expand its authority to gain remote
> access to computers during investigations....
Nothing, of course, could go wrong:

"Software used by law enforcement organizations to intercept the communications of suspected criminals contains a litany of critical weaknesses, including an undocumented backdoor secured with a hardcoded password, security researchers said today...."

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/05/root-backdoor-found-in-surveillance-gear-used-by-law-enforcement/

(I guess this is a way for the Feds to investigate state and local cops.)

                                                        -- Jerry