[Cryptography] hard to trust all those root CAs

Caspar Bowden (lists) lists at casparbowden.net
Sun Jul 27 14:21:20 EDT 2014

On 07/25/14 06:13, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> John Kelsey <crypto.jmk at gmail.com> writes:
>
>    Yeah, and the judge and prosecutor who get your case will be helpless before
>    your clever skills at evading them, because they've never had to deal with
>    literal-minded people trying transparent dodges to get around the law
>    before. You will doubtless enjoy the same success as tax protesters do when
>    they end up in court.  And shortly thereafter, you'll enjoy an all-expenses-
>    paid vacation with free room and board, courtesy of the US government.
>
> This should be preserved somewhere as the standard response to the
> Rumpelstiltskin Defence ("you can't prove I'm using crypto/know the keys so
> you'll have to let me go").  This perfectly sums up what will happen to anyone
> who wants to try the Rumpelstiltskin Defence in court.

In UK law, there is a Rumpelstiltskin Defence (and although I am not
happy with the result, I caused it to be put there and it is better than
nothing)

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords/?id=2000-06-28a.1006.27#g1007.6

(that's all there is BTW - not aware of anything worthwhile written
since, grateful for any refs or cases)

see also www.fipr.org/sfs8/bowden.pdf

Caspar Bowden