[Cryptography] The role of the IETF in security of the Internet: for or against the NSA? for or against the security of users of the net?

Stephen Farrell stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie
Tue Jul 22 15:46:26 EDT 2014

Ian,

On 22/07/14 11:11, ianG wrote:
> The discussion is not over with Russ' draft, but the discussion is over
> with TCPinc.

That's rhetorical rubbish frankly. But you're as free to
participate as to not and we'll see how (un)successful
TCPinc ends up. In my experience its pretty hard to predict
the future anyway.

And FWIW I also disagree with your assertions about TLS etc.
but its not really worth a blow-by-blow disagreement. There
is clearly an element of truth in the assertion that things
like the IETF are less good at inventing stuff, and are
better at improving and maintaining already-good things (when
stuff goes well, which it doesn't always). Its fine that we
disagree about that but you're exaggerating IMO.

S.