[Cryptography] miniLock seems pretty interesting

Eric Mill eric at konklone.com
Tue Jul 22 00:28:53 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill at hallambaker.com
> wrote:

> 32bits or 32 bytes?
>
> I am pretty sure he said 32 bits in the presentation which had me
> really interested!
>
> But the specs say 32 bytes. And as a general matter, I can't see how a
> key of less than 128 bits can possibly be secure. I can brute force a
> 64 bit space.

Sorry, 32-byte. Here's the original paper for the curve in question,
curve25519:
http://cr.yp.to/ecdh/curve25519-20060209.pdf

In general, the curve work seems legit -- Adam Langley has an active
implementation <https://github.com/agl/curve25519-donna>, the curve is
used inside
TextSecure
<https://github.com/WhisperSystems/TextSecure/search?q=curve25519&ref=cmdform>,
and, trusting Wikipedia for the moment, a lot of other good projects
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curve25519#Notable_uses>.

I know there's a lot of skepticism of Cryptocat in the security community,
and I'm not in a good position to evaluate the merits. I have gotten the
sense that Cryptocat has responded constructively over time and improved
their level of security.

Either way, I think minilock deserves to be evaluated on its own merits,
not just as something "from the cryptocat guy".

konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>