[Cryptography] multi-key encryption of "meta" data

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Sat Jul 19 16:43:54 EDT 2014

On 07/15/2014 05:07 PM, Jerry Leichter wrote:

> We have some data to deliver; we need a way to specify and resolve
> who to send it to.  We may want to protect against traffic analysis.
> These are issues common to many transport protocols.  There's little
> reason - other than history - for mail-specific encryption.

I appreciate the sentiment, but it's not that simple.  One
of the first rules of sound reasoning is to consider /all/
the possibilities.

In this case, the four most obvious possibilities form a
2x2 matrix:

      [ A  C ]
      [ B  D ]

  A) Some problems allow alternative solutions at different
   layers.  Some problems /require/ multi-level solutions.

  B) We agree that /some/ problems exist at the transport
   layer, and ought to be solved at that layer.

          C) OTOH, some problems are email-specific, and
           demand email-specific solutions.

          D) Some problems cannot be solved either way,
           and will therefore persist.

At the next level of detail, in a different order:

   B) Defeating traffic analysis starts with concealing
    the very fact that email has been sent.  This requires
    encryption at a very low level -- OSI transport layer
    or below -- so that everything that gets transmitted
    is an opaque blob.

    Ditto for everything that gets stored.  Transmission
    carries data from one place to another, while storage
    carries data from one time to another, so we should
    see the two as very similar.

    Also:  Defeating traffic analysis requires cover traffic.
    I have seen appallingly little discussion of this.  I
    get less than 50 relevant hits from
    https://www.google.com/search?q=%22cover+traffic%22+site%3Aietf.org

            C) The email client needs to show some of the
             metadata, such as sender, date, subject, etc.
             This is email-specific.  This is different
             from decrypting the main body of the email,
             which is why a /layered/ approach has been
             suggested.  We do not need new cryptologic
             primitives, but we need better protocols for
             using the existing primitives.

             This need is not merely "historical".  If email
             did not exist, we would have to invent it.

    A) If you don't have good encryption at a lower level,
     then email-specific encryption such as STARTTLS is better
     than nothing.  Even if you do have lower-level encryption,
     additional layers of superencryption are still needed.

     1) Traffic analysis needs to be dealt with at a low level.
      OTOH, traffic analysis is not the only threat, not by a
      long shot.
     2) MITM attacks are a documented problem in the wild.  See
      companion message:
      Subject: hard to trust all those root CAs
     3) Unencrypted email headers pose far more of a threat
      than low-level traffic analysis.  This is a huge burning
      issue that needs to be dealt with ASAP if not sooner.
      If you don't believe me, ask Ed Snowden:
      http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/18/-sp-edward-snowden-interview-rusbridger-macaskill

            D) One of the virtues of email is that it is easy
             to use.  OTOH real security will never be easy.
             Sending email to <president at whitehouse.com> is
             easy, but it is not quite so easy to recognize
             that you should not have done that, and should
             have said <president at whitehouse.gov> instead.

> The main message has to be:  Keep it as simple as possible.

We all agree with that, as far as it goes.  Einstein said every
theory should be as simple as possible, but no simpler.

Sometimes cleverness plus hard work makes extreme simplicity
possible, but sometimes you have to accept some complexity
as the cost of doing business.