[Cryptography] Steganography and bringing encryption to a piece of paper

Grégory Alvarez gregory at alvarez-garcia.com
Wed Jul 16 19:02:38 EDT 2014

Hello,

last year I designed a new encryption algorithm (
http://eprint.iacr.org/2013/551.pdf) based on transposition rather than
substitution. The idea behind this algorithm is like cutting every letter
of a whole book and shuffling them together. The result is so big and mixed
up that it is possible to recreate a completely different book from it. The
algorithm generates from a password a relation between two sets,
associating uniquely each element in one set to the other one.

The proprieties of this algorithm allow to use it for a lot of other things
than cryptography. When a dictionary (a list of all the English words) is
used as set, it is possible to securely replace a word from a plaintext
with another one from the dictionary (with the condition of the plaintext
word being in the dictionary). This idea led me to design a steganography
technology and last week I released a demo of it at: http://steno.io

Encrypting the phrase "*This is a test.*" with the password "*mypassword*"
would result in a ciphertext like "*uncomplimentary threateningly.
conceptually secures on pockiest.*". This technology has principally two
advantage :

- Since the ciphertext is made of words it attracts far less attention.

- The ciphertext can be sent by other mean than electronic communication
simply by written it down on a paper, making it a lot harder to track.

This is an alpha version, there is a lot to improve but if people are
interested by this technology we can do some nice things with it.

What do you think ?