[Cryptography] cheap sources of entropy

Krisztián Pintér pinterkr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 17:41:13 EST 2014

James A. Donald (at Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 11:17:29 PM):
>  From time to time, stir more randomness into the pseudo random number
> generator *in* *greater* *than* *128* *bit* *chunks*, not in smaller
> amounts.

that might prove itself harder than it seems, if we don't have a good
estimate on the entropy. there is a solution though. fortuna rng does
it in a very clever way, it runs 32 parallel entropy collectors. it
uses the first of them for every reseeding. it uses the second one for
every second reseedings. it uses the third for every fourth
reseedings, and so on. even if we have no clue about the entropy
production, it will eventually recover from a compromised state.