[Cryptography] The crypto behind the blackphone

Ralf Senderek crypto at senderek.ie
Mon Jan 27 11:56:02 EST 2014

Jon Callas  wrote:

> I can answer, but I have no idea what your question means. Sorry. No,
> it's not proprietary,
> but I have no clue what you mean by "real problem" or the apparent
> opposition to -- something.
>
>	Jon

My question is not difficult to understand:

We have the "real problem" that although we have the proper tools, almost
nobody is using them today. Some of us find that undesirable and try to do
something about that. We've come to the point that we need something new
but don't know exactly what it will be and if the "old tool" will be used
in new ways or be replaced by something entirely new.

And now Phil comes up with the blackphone, claiming that "Blackphone
provides users with everything they need to ensure privacy and control of
their communications, along with all the other high-end Smartphone
features they have come to expect.”

If you expect everyone to subscribe to a proprietary, in-house solution to
exchange secure messages, that would be easy. Solving the "real problem"
will require much more than using a special device. A real solution must
work on all devices in a way that users actually use crypto.

That's why I asked what crypto will do that job.

         --ralf