[Cryptography] Fwd: [IP] RSA Response to Media Claims Regarding NSA Relationship

John Kelsey crypto.jmk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 12:34:13 EST 2014

On Dec 23, 2013, at 9:29 PM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:
> As for the rest, the lesson we should take from this is, moving
> forward, if any company in the future hears the words, "I'm from the
> NSA and I'm here to help", they should run away, as fast their legs
> can carry them.

I think that lesson has been driven home pretty effectively by the Snowden disclosures, along with the related lesson for standards committees.  Even if current participants stay in place, their coworkers aren't going to trust them for a long time to come.

However, I am pretty damned skeptical about how many US companies will manage to resist a decade-long multi-million-dollar intelligence operation run against them by their own government.

>                                         - Ted

--John