[Cryptography] Boing Boing pushing an RSA Conference boycott

Arnold Reinhold agr at me.com
Sat Jan 18 18:22:05 EST 2014

> On 2014-01-18 04:28, Arnold Reinhold wrote:
>> 3. If I were working for NSA tasked with with disrupting the
>> independent cryptographic community's response to the Snowdon
>> revelations, I'd be hard pressed to come up with a better idea than
>> a boycott of the RSA conference.
>
> Seems to me that the independent cryptographic community's response to
> the Snowdon revelations is Jon Callas and Daniel Bernstein.  How does
> boycotting RSA adversely affect them and what they are doing?

So Jon and Daniel have it all taken care of? We can just relax, and their admirable work, which solves all known and still undiscovered problems, will make its way into every security product by the sheer weight of its superiority?  No protocol issues to resolve? No need for people looking for weaknesses to brainstorm possible attacks? No need for people who are working on similar problems to meet and share issues and solutions? No need for those who still don't get it to hear from those who do?

I can't think of any discipline where the advocacy, relationship-building and cross fertilization that takes place in a conference is needed more than in cryptography, especially in light of the recent disclosures.

Arnold Reinhold