[Cryptography] cheap sources of entropy

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Sat Jan 18 13:07:07 EST 2014

On 1/18/14 at 12:17 AM, iang at iang.org (ianG) wrote:

>Jon Callas (I think) a long time ago suggested pointing your cheapo USB
>camera at a photographer's grey card in low light.  The theory is that
>the cells in a camera seek for information and if they don't see
>something that is worth reporting, it drives them a little tipsy.  The
>claim is that this effect can drive them into some form of quantum
>uncertainty.

I think what is happening here is the effective ISO is being
pushed up by the low light so there is a lot of noise in the
amplifiers used to read out the sensor cells. What you are using
is thermal noise in the amplifiers. You get a lot of readings in
one photo, and it should be a good source.

>Open question:  What do people think of the production of big important
>keys using the old compliance method of "must use a HSM" now ?

I have always looked at HSMs as black boxes built by people I
don't trust. If I built it I would feel different, but you
should be uncomfortable using my HSM. Getting mutually
suspicious people to trust the same HSM is an interesting
social/technical problem.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | "The only thing we have to   | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | fear is fear itself." - FDR  | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | Inaugural address, 3/4/1933  | Los Gatos,
CA 95032