[Cryptography] Boing Boing pushing an RSA Conference boycott

ianG iang at iang.org
Fri Jan 17 02:39:04 EST 2014

On 15/01/14 23:33 PM, Salz, Rich wrote:
>> I never said they were evil, but it might be evil to reinterpret words to defend the indefensible, dunno.
>
> Perhaps you haven't.  But others have.
>
>> As has been repeatedly mentioned in this list, RSA were tricked.  They and the people within were not evil nor are they evil.
>> Rather, *there but for the grace of the crypto gods go we all*.
>
> Agree.  So why is a boycott a good thing?  Why punish someone for being tricked?

So, counterpoint.  Skype.

They weren't tricked, they turned -- it was a conscious decision of the
owners to take the king's shilling somewhere around 2009, before the
sale to Microsoft.

Skype now tracks the content back to HQ, as was reported by Heise,
proven by Adam, and leaked by Snowden.  Undoubtedly, at SKype HQ in
Redmond there are friends from Ft Meade with their special fibre link,
indeed the revelations say as much (can't recall where).

Why is there no boycott on Skype?

iang