[Cryptography] Boing Boing pushing an RSA Conference boycott

Watson Ladd watsonbladd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 00:07:06 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Salz, Rich <rsalz at akamai.com> wrote:
>> I never said they were evil, but it might be evil to reinterpret words to defend the indefensible, dunno.
>
> Perhaps you haven't.  But others have.
>
>> As has been repeatedly mentioned in this list, RSA were tricked.  They and the people within were not evil nor are they evil.
>> Rather, *there but for the grace of the crypto gods go we all*.
>
> Agree.  So why is a boycott a good thing?  Why punish someone for being tricked?  (Not specifically directed to Ian).  It seems to me the better object lesson is one of the strongest cryptography companies in the world (at the time) was tricked into possibly making many of their customers vulnerable.  How can we move forward from this?

Because your job as a cryptography company is not to be tricked, and
to exercise the judgement your client is hiring you to exercise in
their interests. If you can't or won't do it, you shouldn't take the
money of your customer. 2007 should have seen an immediate rush to fix
the problem. But instead they left their clients vulnerable to a known
weakness for 6 years, in exchange for millions of dollars. If they
were accountants or lawyers, they would be in jail for something
similar.

Sincerely,
Watson

>         /R$