[Cryptography] Boing Boing pushing an RSA Conference boycott

Dan McDonald danmcd at kebe.com
Tue Jan 14 14:08:08 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 10:36:00AM -0800, Bear wrote:
<SNIP!>
> I tend to agree.  If RSA doesn't go down in flames over its utter
> failure, then people will learn from that fact that security is a
> joke industry.

Security shouldn't be an industry -- it should be a lifestyle.  (Just like
performance.)  The "suits" you mention are those who see security as an
income supplement income, not as something to be thought of at product design
time.

Perry and other will remember the IPsec KM wars.  One of the participants had
an ENTIRE GROUP in a large company devoted to security-as-product behind
them.  It's really hard to fight that much momentum when, say, you're trying
to build it in properly to the OS.

If RSA goes down in flames, I only hope it helps kill the security-as-extra
mindset.

Dan