[Cryptography] Boing Boing pushing an RSA Conference boycott

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 12:35:31 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 11:09 AM, John Young <jya at pipeline.com> wrote:

> Shirley Jackson, The Lottery, sacrificing  a victim purges guilt
> of the guilty.
>
> Does anyone really believe RSA is alone in this "betrayal?"
>
> And that making an example of RSA will stop the industry practice
> of forked-tonguedness about working both sides of the imaginary
> fence of dual-use, dual-hat, duplicity of comsec?
>
> "Industry standards" were invented and are sustained for this
> purpose. No matter NSA, RSA, IETF, NIST, this breast-beating
> list of the guilty cryptographers pretending they did not know
> what their best customers and employers are doing.
>
> Boing Boing is being played like the crypto promotional wargame
> is played.

I hadn't thought of it that way before.

but yes, I think that the way the NSA worked to disrupt certain IETF and
industry programs was to play that type of game.

"Lets put a TPM chip in the machines to keep private keys safe"

DRM! DRM! Antichrist! DRM! Don't you use treacherous computing. DEEEE
ARRRRRR EEEMMMMM!

"Lets turn on this S/MIME crypto in a billion email clients"

Don't you know that PGP is the only way to go!!!

"Lets add PGP features to S/MIME"

And have the smelly hippies come round?

I am sure that a lot of arguments were played on both sides with wormtongue
types telling both sides to stick to their guns. And too much of it has
worked.

That is the real crime here. Instead of protecting the country and its
allies against the threat of attack against an infrastructure that is
brittle, they were actively sabotaging efforts to make it robust.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/