[Cryptography] Advances in homomorphic encryption

Jonathan Katz jkatz at cs.umd.edu
Thu Jan 9 21:12:59 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Landon Hurley <ljrhurley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Eric Mill <eric at konklone.com> wrote:
> >
> >Poking around Github, I found one active, interesting library[3]
> >that's focused on building out HE primitives. But it's very difficult
> >for me to follow.
> >
> >Does anyone know about the state of affairs? Is this worth getting
> >excited about?
> >
> For what it's worth, a group at MIT seems to be actively developing
> cryptdb, which is an SQL implementation that emulates homomorphic
> encryption. There's a mailing list that, up until I unsubscribed, had a low
> S/N ratio, but that had seemed to be changing. As such, it may be an
> interesting place to get implementation advice.

It's important to distinguish between homomorphic encryption and *fully*
homomorphic encryption. (Unfortunately, even the academic literature has
begun using the terms carelessly.) The former goes back ~35 years, can be
roughly as efficient as standard public-key crypto, but only supports
(essentially) *addition* of encrypted values. The latter goes back ~5
years, is orders of magnitude less efficient than standard public-key
crypto, and supports arbitrary computations on encrypted data.

cryptdb uses homomorphic encryption (as part of a larger system that leaks
more information that "pure" HE would, but that is an irrelevant tangent).