[Cryptography] What is an attack, and what is not an attack?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Jan 8 17:00:04 EST 2014

On 2014-01-09 01:18, John Kelsey wrote:
 > I think you're headed toward a lower bound estimate of what the
 > real-world attacks look like, but we also need to consider likely
 > and possible attacks.  For example, we have years of results on
 > all-electronic voting machines that show that they generally have
 > Swiss cheese like security, but I am not aware of any documented
 > election fraud in the US

There is obvious massive election fraud in the US, for example the
highly improbable turnout in presidential elections in certain areas
of swing states, but there is no "documented" fraud because the fraud
is always done in areas where the police, judges, and elected
officials are of the benefiting party.