[Cryptography] defaults, black boxes, APIs, and other engineering thoughts

Guido Witmond guido at witmond.nl
Tue Jan 7 15:07:55 EST 2014

On 01/05/14 22:47, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> Well as Jerry quoted my old college tutor earlier in this thread, you
> can either make something so simple it is obviously correct or so
> complex that there aren't any obvious errors.
>
> Every O/S has a broken privilege system in my view. Instead of system
> privileges being monolithic as they have become defacto in every O/S,
> they should be mutually exclusive.

Not every OS.

There is a group of people working on fine-grained authorities inside a
general purpose operating system.

They call themselves Genode.org.

If you can't wait and really need to open potential hostile .doc and
.pdf files, install Qubes-os.org and run these in a throw-away zone.

Regrettable, these are not mainstream yet. Please give these projects a
try and spread the word.

Regards, Guido Witmond.