[Cryptography] Using Raspberry Pis

Nathan Dorfman nd at rtfm.net
Sun Jan 5 23:06:23 EST 2014

> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 6:49 PM, Nathan <nd at rtfm.net> wrote:
> That looks more than fast enough for my needs since I can't get more than
> 75 Mb/sec broadband anyway and there will be a faster model sooner than
> that changes.

Yep, I'm in a similar boat, and I'm hoping the ERL with FreeBSD will have
plenty of breathing room left over for stateful inspection, VPN, etc. The
AES hardware acceleration will hopefully help with the VPN.

It may be worth noting that with the factory OS (based on Vyatta), the
device performs a lot better. A binary-only kernel module uses the on-board
FPGA for packet processing, and pushes the whole 1Gb/s. This isn't
available under FreeBSD, but of course you get an OS that you can build from
source yourself, and it works plenty well enough.

> Is it possible to expand the file store beyond 4Gb or is that a hard
> limit?
> My Google mail file is 8Gb already so I would really need more...

Well, I haven't tried it yet, but it's literally just a 4GB USB thumb drive
in there -- to install FreeBSD, I took it out, put it in my computer, wrote
an image to it, and put it back in. I see no reason why you couldn't just
replace it with a 64GB one, or whatever. I have one lying around here
somewhere, let me find it and give it a shot, and I'll get back to you.

-nd.