[Cryptography] defaults, black boxes, APIs, and other engineering thoughts

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Sun Jan 5 15:25:34 EST 2014

I wrote
| What I see is low-security consumer
| systems (e.g., the usual stuff from Microsoft, Adobe, etc) doing
| dynamic updates every month or even every week.  But OSs which make
| security a very high priority, like (say) OpenBSD, aren't moving that
| way at all -- they're staying with the old "updates are manually
| applied by a (human) system administrator" model.
|
| The OpenBSD website points out that they've only had two remote holes
| in the default install in "a heck of a long time" (I think more than a
| decade).  So perhaps the manual-updates security model remains viable....

On Sun, 5 Jan 2014, Phillip Hallam-Baker replied:
> I believe the point of OpenBSD is that it is not a kitchen sink O/S which
> ships everything someone might want by default. That is certainly going to
> offer more security if you use it for a single purpose with a stripped down
> build.

That's certainly part of it:

from http://www.openbsd.org/security.html
# To ensure that novice users of OpenBSD do not need to become
# security experts overnight (a viewpoint which other vendors seem
# to have), we ship the operating system in a Secure by Default mode.
# All non-essential services are disabled. As the user/administrator
# becomes more familiar with the system, he will discover that he
# has to enable daemons and other parts of the system. During the
# process of learning how to enable a new service, the novice is
# more likely to learn of security considerations.
#
# This is in stark contrast to the increasing number of systems that
# ship with NFS, mountd, web servers, and various other services
# enabled by default, creating instantaneous security problems for
# their users within minutes after their first install.

> It also means that the O/S is not going to report a vulnerability
> each time sendmail gets rolled.

Actually, sendmail is (still) part of the current OpenBSD, and runs in
the default install.  I don't know if that sendmail is vanilla ISC or
if OpenBSD has local patches to it.

The OpenBSD project is working on a replacement MTA (smtpd), but this
isn't quite ready for full-time production use yet.

> But take OpenBSD and lard it up with the thirty packages that are written
> by the usual C-crew and the advantage is lost. Very few Microsoft or OSX or
> Linux security reports are for code in the O/S core. It is usually the
> support apps that cause the issues.

I agree, userland causes a lot more problems than kernels.  Fortunately,
there are things a kernel and a libc can do that help, by reducing the
incidence of bugs in userland code
  http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=138733933417096&w=1
and/or by blocking some bugs from being exploitable
  http://www.openbsd.org/papers/ru13-deraadt/

> the thirty packages that are written
> by the usual C-crew

Only 30? :)

But this raises some genuine questions:
* Is there a secure web browser?  My trust level in any of the biggies
  (Microsoft, Apple, Google, Mozilla) is low...
* I've just booked a hotel room in <distant city>; the hotel sent me a
  .docx file which claims to be a confirmation.  Is there an "office suite"
  in which it's safe for me to look at that .docx file?
* Same question, but for pdf files?
* For bonus points, can that pdf-viewer edit fillable pdf forms?  I have
  seen claims that evince or mupdf can do this... but neither seems to
  handle either US or Canadian tax forms. :(

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA