[Cryptography] defaults, black boxes, APIs, and other engineering thoughts

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Sat Jan 4 21:23:32 EST 2014

> Have you noticed how the entire world is moving to a much more
> sophisticated update model, typically dynamically, monthly?

I'm not sure if that's true.  What I see is low-security consumer
systems (e.g., the usual stuff from Microsoft, Adobe, etc) doing
dynamic updates every month or even every week.  But OSs which make
security a very high priority, like (say) OpenBSD, aren't moving that
way at all -- they're staying with the old "updates are manually
applied by a (human) system administrator" model.

The OpenBSD website points out that they've only had two remote holes
in the default install in "a heck of a long time" (I think more than a
decade).  So perhaps the manual-updates security model remains viable....

ciao,

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA