[Cryptography] TAO, NSA crypto backdoor program

Sam Simpson sammysimpson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 09:48:04 EST 2014

On 2 January 2014 22:47, Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com> wrote:

<SNIP>

> BTW, this isn't an "I was just following orders" defense.  We can argue
> about whether creating these devices is illegal - I'd say certainly not -
> or immoral - to me, a gray area; espionage has been both condemned and
> attacked forever, often by the same people at almost the same time.
>  Producing tools of espionage is at least as gray.  The stuff in this
> catalogue at least is aimed at particular individuals, not bulk
> surveillance of entire populations.  (I would have much more serious qualms
> about those who built the mass surveillance frameworks.)
>                                                         -- Jerry

Regarding the 'condemned by the same people at almost the same time' I
chuckled when someone pointed out the headline "Obama to press China's Xi
to act against cyber spying" -
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/04/us-usa-china-idUSBRE9531E220130604...The
very day before the first Snowden news story hit.

I should imagine that would be a much more challenging conversation today.

Best regards

Sam

E: sam at samsimpson.com
LinkedIn: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/samsimpson1/