[Cryptography] Dual_EC_DRBG backdoor: a proof of concept

ianG iang at iang.org
Thu Jan 2 12:04:35 EST 2014

Tantalising!  I've no time to look (and wouldn't know an eliptic curve
if it slapped me in the face).  Comments?

http://blog.0xbadc0de.be/archives/155

If you still believe Dual_EC_DRBG was not backdoored on purpose, please
keep reading.

In 2007 already, Dan Shumow and Niels Ferguson from Microsoft showed
that Dual_EC_DRBG algorithm could be backdoored. Twitter also uncovered
recently that this algorithm was even patented in 2004 by Dan Brown (Not
the Da Vinci guy, the Certicom one) as a “key escrow mechanism”
(government jargon/lingo for trapdoor/backdoor).
I will go a little bit further in explaining how it works and give a
proof-of-concept code, based on OpenSSL FIPS. This is in the best of my
knowledge the only public proof of concept published today. (correct me
if I’m wrong).