[Cryptography] The GOTO Squirrel! [was GOTO Considered Harmful]

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Fri Feb 28 20:33:14 EST 2014

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton at acm.org> writes:

>It is not about the code.  It is not about the code.  It is not about goto.
>It is not about coming up with ways to avoid introducing this particular
>defect by writing the code differently.
>
>I say this is all about the engineering and delivery process that allowed
>this gaff to be introduced into production code for a security-important
>procedure and allowed to remain there until someone noticed externally.  The
>coding style could have been perfect, with the code still not establishing
>security correctly and it would have been put into the live release, all else
>being equal.

I was just about to say the same thing.  Even if you rewrote the entire think
in Haskell (the newspeak of programming languages in which it's impossible to
write incorrect code[0]), you can still produce something where some crypto
check is missed.  This isn't an issue of coding style, it's one of software
engineering practice (or lack thereof).

>There are innumerable ways the particular defect could have been detected and
>remedied well before the code was committed to the code base.  A walkthrough
>would likely catch it, assuming a skilled human other than the original
>programmer simply read through it.  I bet explaining it on a walkthrough
>would have led the originator to notice it.

This could be, and should have been, caught with automated testing.  The
problem is that most (all?) testing of this type of code is along the lines of
"do the things that should happen, happen?", with very little testing of "do
the things that shouldn't happen, not happen?".  What happens if a bit in the
SSL handshake is flipped?  What if a bit in the payload data is flipped?  What
if the server presents cert A and signs with cert B?  What if a bit in the
signed DH parameters is flipped?  What if the hash has a valid signature but
it's the wrong hash for the data?  (Those are all self-checks that my code
performs, if there's anything else obvious that I've missed I'd love to hear
about it so I can add checks for that too).  These are trivial, automated
checks that you can run before you ship, and several of them would have caught
Apple's bug (the signature wasn't checked at all, so wrong-key, DH-parameter-
manipulation, and valid-sig-on-wrong hash would all have caught the problem).

Peter.

[0] Some advocates of Haskell actually seem to believe this, which always
    provides for much entertainment during discussions.