[Cryptography] The ultimate random source

ianG iang at iang.org
Tue Feb 18 01:34:33 EST 2014

On 18/02/2014 02:43 am, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> But the general point about these being pretty, I was thinking of making
> electro-mechanical sculptures for sale. A twist on kinetic art.

At Ars Technica a few years back, some artist presented a random number
generator made of candles and fans.  He had maybe 30 candles, and above
each was a homemade fan that spun from the heat generated by its candle.
 As the fan spun, the candle blinked on and off.  Each candle and fan
combination had a different frequency...

It was very pretty!  If photographed and hashed I imagine it would work
fune, but I didn't have the heart to tell the accompanying art critics
about the predictability of counting the frequencies.

iang