[Cryptography] Are Tor hidden services really hidden?

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Fri Feb 14 11:50:01 EST 2014

On 14 February 2014 11:19, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Again this is raising the cost of the attack, not preventing the really
> determined attacker.

Agreed, wholly.

> It could be that they are all being found because they are making stupid
> mistakes like sending email which has to go outside the Tor system becauseof
> the spam controls. But it wouldn't surprise me if we later find that there
> are tens of thousands of NSA/GCHQ run nodes.

I'll nit and say we only have 5K nodes, including 1K exits and 2K
guards but it's possible.  I proposed (and intended to do before I got
sidetracked) that we just go through the exit probability percents and
tick off which nodes we believe are run by trustworthy people, and
just see what percentage we get to.  I think it will be less than 50%,
but greater than 25%.

-tom