[Cryptography] RAM memories as one source of entropy

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Mon Feb 10 02:42:14 EST 2014

On 2/7/14 at 4:37 AM, Joachim at Strombergson.com (Joachim
Strömbergson) wrote:

>For external entropy source PN avalanche noise is a solution. The one
>problem I see with this source is that it requires analog circuitry as
>well as A/D conversion to achieve the desired effect. This is harder to
>build and needs to be tuned to work properly.

One friend who has looked into quantum secure random numbers
says that there are many good sources of quantum secure numbers,
but all the hardware he has seen that actually reads them out
into a computer has had problems, sometimes fatal. Strong nearby
electric fields can overwhelm the quantum noise to give but one example.

You might look for a way to allow the user of your HSM to
provide "random" input and include it along with your internal
sources. This feature will keep those of us in the "the more
sources, the merrier" camp happy.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | Privacy is dead, get over    | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | it.                          | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com |              - Scott McNealy | Los Gatos,
CA 95032