[Cryptography] Entropy Attacks!

Arnold Reinhold agr at me.com
Sun Feb 9 15:36:26 EST 2014

D. J. Bernstein has proposed an attack on RNG schemes that use a hash
algorithm to combine output from several entropy sources. (*2014.02.05:
Entropy Attacks!,* on The cr.yp.to blog) I believe his attack can be
thwarted by using a key-stretching hash to combine the outputs.

Bernstein showed that, under certain circumstances, one specially crafted
rouge entropy source can control, to a limited extent, the final output of
the combining RNG. To successfully mount the Bernstein attack, the rogue
entropy source must be the last entropy source polled and must know the
system under attack’s combining scheme and all outputs the system obtained
from the other entropy sources. The rogue RNG then internally repeats
the combining hash function many times until it finds a random bit stream
to output that, when hashed with the previous entropy outputs, produces a
final RNG output value with the desired characteristics.

If the combining hash is a key stretcher with a work parameter set high
enough, it will not be possible for the rouge RNG to perform the many tries
needed to find an acceptable output without imposing a large, easily
detected delay. For simple hashes, especial ones crafted for fast hardware
performance like the SHA families, it may be possible for the rouge RNG to
make the necessary trials fast enough to avoid notice. But if a
key-stretching hash is employed that uses enough CPU and memory resources,
such as scrypt or HEKS, it will be infeasible, both physically and
economically, to hide enough computation power inside the rouge RNG to do
the repeated hash trials many times faster than system under attack, even
if the rouge RNG is part of the system’s CPU chip.

Assuming the system under attack has a trusted timer or real-time clock,
the system software can set the work level parameter of the combining hash
to be on the order of the maximum time that should be needed to interrogate
the final entropy source (the potential rogue) after output has been
received from all other entropy sources. If the measured time exceeds a
reasonable margin above what is expected, the system should fail safe by
refusing to accept the RNG outputs. Alternatively, the system can measure
the time interval between obtaining the first and last RNG’s data and set
its key stretching work factor based on this time interval.

In particular, Intel’s RDRAND is implemented as a CPU instruction, so
almost no time should elapse between the penultimate entropy source's data
being obtained and the needed RDRAND instructions being completed. Thus a
fairly small key stretching work parameter, even a few milliseconds, should
suffice to detect a CPU with an RDRAND that attempts to implement
Bernstein's attack.

Arguably a CPU chip with a cooked RNG instruction could suspend its timers
while possible RNG outputs are being tested, though it would have to know
when the critical output was being requested, otherwise the timer
interference might be detected. (At some point we must recognize that an
all-knowing CPU with lots of covert firmware designed around our software
can defeat any security scheme.) Other timing sources are possible. Common,
inexpensive external real time clock ICs, such as the DS1302, provide
timing to one second resolution. An available GPIO pin could be used to
charge a small capacitor with a resistor in parallel and then measure its
voltage decay for a rough time check.

While placing a key stretcher in the RNG chain may seem overkill to just
thwart the Bernstein entropy combiner attack, an attack which demands
somewhat far fetched preconditions, using a key stretching hash can also
mitigate the type of attack proposed by Georg T. Becker. et. al. (*Stealthy
Dopant-Level Hardware Trojan*s
http://people.umass.edu/gbecker/BeckerChes13.pdf ) An attacker using the
Becker technique will reduce the effective state space of the RNG being
cooked. The cooked state space must be small enough to allow a brute force
search of possible RNG states, but not so small as to risk detection.
Applying a high work factor key stretcher to the output of a Beckerized RNG
would make the state space search far more expensive and possibly force the
attacker to shrink the effective state space enough to allow detection.

The key stretching defense is particularly well suited to the difficult
case of a black box device needing random data at first start up, when,
typically, its secret keys are generated. A tens of seconds delay during
first boot would seem a reasonable trade off for enhanced security. The
Bernstein attack would then take several minutes, a delay that would be
easy to notice. A similar argument applies to systems that generate one
time a high quality seed for a deterministic RNG which will then be used to
meet all future randomness requirements.

Arnold Reinhold