[Cryptography] who cares about actual randomness?

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Wed Feb 5 15:35:34 EST 2014

On 02/05/2014 01:11 PM, Jerry Leichter wrote:
> I'll do you one better.  I'll bring my favorite "true random number
> generator".  I built it using your Turbid designs, and it also mixes
> in the RDRAND output of four separate Intel chips.  Plus a couple of
> other sources for good measure.
>
> See, I have it all beautifully assembled in this clear plastic box.
> You can even see all the parts.

> Ready to play?

Millions of people do play for high stakes, placing their trust
in entropy -- you know, real physics entropy -- and in procedural
safeguards such as clear plastic boxes.
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7M3MSmooeM

Can you convince these people to trust a PRNG instead?

Can you make even a plausible argument that they would be better
off using a PRNG instead?

And, by the way, where did you get the /seed/ for your PRNG, for
this application or any other?